Forum: Ruby Simple problem w/ WWW::Mechanize

unknown (Guest)
Hi all, I'm fairly new to Ruby, and, as an exercise, I'm writing some
code for webforms. However, I can't seem to get the following code to
work - instead, I get the following error:
wikitesting.rb:8:in `get': undefined method `myform' for
#<WWW::Mechanize::Page:0xb7996738> (NoMethodError)
        from wikitesting.rb:10

Probably pretty simple, and I can see it's something wrong with the
way I called the function, however, I've spent some time on it and
can't figure it out. Here's the code:
require 'rubygems'
require 'mechanize'
def get(pagename)
  agent = WWW::Mechanize.new
  agent.user_agent = 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
5.1)'
  page = agent.get('http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=' +
pagename + '&action=edit')
  myform = page.form('editform')
  return page.myform.fields.form('wpTextbox1')
end
text = get('Computer')
pp text

Thanks,

Tim
Aaron P. (Guest)
Hi Tim,

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 08:00:15AM +0900, removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'mechanize'
> def get(pagename)
>   agent = WWW::Mechanize.new
>   agent.user_agent = 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
> 5.1)'
>   page = agent.get('http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=' +
> pagename + '&action=edit')
>   myform = page.form('editform')

Try replacing this line:

>   return page.myform.fields.form('wpTextbox1')

With this:

  return myform.wpTextbox1

You've already found the form and stored it in the 'myform' variable.

> end
> text = get('Computer')
> pp text

Also, if you have more questions, be sure to join the mechanize mailing
list:

unknown (Guest)
On Apr 2, 7:25 pm, Aaron P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >         from wikitesting.rb:10
> >    page = agent.get('http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title='+
>

> --
> Aaron P.http://tenderlovemaking.com/

Thanks for replying.  I still get a similar error, though:
wikitesting.rb:8:in `get': undefined method `wpTextbox1' for
nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
        from wikitesting.rb:10

questions I might have will probably be directed there.

Thanks,

Tim
Aaron P. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 08:50:04AM +0900, removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:
> Thanks for replying.  I still get a similar error, though:
> wikitesting.rb:8:in `get': undefined method `wpTextbox1' for
> nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
>         from wikitesting.rb:10
>
> Any ideas? By the way, I've joined the mailing list, and any future
> questions I might have will probably be directed there.

It looks like Wikipidia may not like that parameter in the URL.  When I
change 'Computer' to 'Main', it seems to work:

  require 'rubygems'
  require 'mechanize'

  def get(pagename)
    agent = WWW::Mechanize.new
    agent.user_agent = 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
5.1)'
    page = agent.get('http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=' +
      pagename + '&action=edit')

    myform = page.form('editform')
    return myform.wpTextbox1
  end
  text = get('Main')
  pp text
unknown (Guest)
On Apr 3, 1:36 am, Aaron P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> change 'Computer' to 'Main', it seems to work:
>     myform = page.form('editform')
>     return myform.wpTextbox1
>   end
>   text = get('Main')