Forum: Ruby The Rubyw.exe Thread

R.E. (Guest)
on 2007-04-02 20:16
I've looked at the FAQ, Ruby Docs, and Google on how to fix rubyw.exe
for Win XP and there is no help at all. I've tried i've seen and nothing
works. I have downloed both the one step install version AND the ZIP
file version and in both cases rubyw.exe doesn't seem to work. Doesn't
execute at all.

I don't really mind using just ruby.exe for all of my programming but
just as ong as I can make Tk and windowing apps.

Can anyone help?
unknown (Guest)
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, R.E. wrote:

> I've looked at the FAQ, Ruby Docs, and Google on how to fix rubyw.exe
> for Win XP and there is no help at all. I've tried i've seen and nothing
> works. I have downloed both the one step install version AND the ZIP
> file version and in both cases rubyw.exe doesn't seem to work. Doesn't
> execute at all.
>
> I don't really mind using just ruby.exe for all of my programming but
> just as ong as I can make Tk and windowing apps.
>
> Can anyone help?

explaining the problem would be a great start.  what 'does not work'
about
rubyw.exe?

-a
.. .. (Guest)
on 2007-04-02 20:45
unknown wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, R.E. wrote:
>
>> I've looked at the FAQ, Ruby Docs, and Google on how to fix rubyw.exe
>> for Win XP and there is no help at all. I've tried i've seen and nothing
>> works. I have downloed both the one step install version AND the ZIP
>> file version and in both cases rubyw.exe doesn't seem to work. Doesn't
>> execute at all.
>>
>> I don't really mind using just ruby.exe for all of my programming but
>> just as ong as I can make Tk and windowing apps.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>
> explaining the problem would be a great start.  what 'does not work'
> about
> rubyw.exe?
>
> -a

Rubyw.exe doesn't execute at all.

Everything else is fine.

If I don't need Rubyw.exe and can make RubyTK and other things just fine
with the console, then I won't worry about it.

I have the latest version of Ruby and i'm using Windows XP.
Ryan L. (Guest)
On 4/2/07, R.E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've looked at the FAQ, Ruby Docs, and Google on how to fix rubyw.exe
> for Win XP and there is no help at all.

FWIW, I have no problems.

Running this code on Windows XP with rubyw.exe results in the image
linked below.

require 'fox16'

include Fox
theApp = FXApp.new
theMainWindow = FXMainWindow.new(theApp, "Hello", nil, nil, DECOR_ALL,
100, 100, 500, 400)
theApp.create
theMainWindow.show
theApp.run
__END__

Screenshot: http://ryanleavengood.com/files/rubyw_test.jpg

Ryan
unknown (Guest)
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, .. .. wrote:

>>> just as ong as I can make Tk and windowing apps.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> explaining the problem would be a great start.  what 'does not work'
>> about
>> rubyw.exe?
>>
>> -a
>
> Rubyw.exe doesn't execute at all.

you mean it does nothing - or that it executes and crashes?  it's not
supposed
to 'do' anything by iteself.  show us the code you are running in it.

-a
stu (Guest)
On Apr 2, 12:16 pm, "R.E." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've looked at the FAQ, Ruby Docs, and Google on how to fix rubyw.exe
> for Win XP and there is no help at all. I've tried i've seen and nothing
> works. I have downloed both the one step install version AND the ZIP
> file version and in both cases rubyw.exe doesn't seem to work. Doesn't
> execute at all.
>
> I don't really mind using just ruby.exe for all of my programming but
> just as ong as I can make Tk and windowing apps.

you do realise the only difference between ruby.exe and rubyw.exe is
that rubyw creates no output console window thats visible? so when you
run it, it looks like it might not actually be running....

-stu
.. .. (Guest)
on 2007-04-02 21:19
I see, sorry. Total waste of time.
I thought it was a Ruby GUI where you could enter the commands..like
Python.
My mistake.
Phillip G. (Guest)
.. .. wrote:
> I see, sorry. Total waste of time.
> I thought it was a Ruby GUI where you could enter the commands..like
> Python.
> My mistake.

That'd be irb (Interactive Ruby). open a command window (cmd.exe), and
launch irb.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Rule of Open-Source Programming #15:

If you like it, let the author know. If you hate it, let the author
know why.
Anders P. (Guest)
You know there is one like this, start a shell and enter IRB
if you want more GUI like there is a FOX BASED called fxirb
Search for it and there is a description how to install it with
Ruby's gem.
// Anders

On 4/2/07, Anders P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> You know there is one like this, start a shell and enter IRB
> if you want more GUI like there is a FOX BASED called fxirb
> Search for it and there is a description how to install it with
> Ruby's gem.

That is a good point. But the Fox tool is called fxri and it is
included in the Ruby O.-Click Installer for Windows. It is in the
start menu entry for Ruby.

Ryan
Lyle J. (Guest)
On 4/2/07, Ryan L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Anders P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > You know there is one like this, start a shell and enter IRB
> > if you want more GUI like there is a FOX BASED called fxirb
> > Search for it and there is a description how to install it with
> > Ruby's gem.
>
> That is a good point. But the Fox tool is called fxri and it is
> included in the Ruby O.-Click Installer for Windows. It is in the
> start menu entry for Ruby.

No, it's called FXIrb (http://rubyforge.org/projects/fxirb/). FXRi is
a different tool -- a graphical user interface to the RI documentation
utility.
Ryan L. (Guest)
On 4/2/07, Lyle J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> No, it's called FXIrb (http://rubyforge.org/projects/fxirb/). FXRi is
> a different tool -- a graphical user interface to the RI documentation
> utility.

Oops, I've been out of the loop awhile. FXRI also has IRB in it
though. At least the one I'm using does (from the latest One-Click
installer.)

Ryan