Forum: Ruby Trollop 1.5 Released

William M. (Guest)
Trollop version 1.5 has been released!

  http://trollop.rubyforge.org

Trollop is YAFCLAP --- yet another fine commandline argument
processing library for Ruby. Trollop is designed to provide the
maximal amount of GNU-style argument processing in the minimum number
of lines of code (for you, the programmer).

Trollop provides a nice automatically-generated help page, robust
option parsing, and sensible defaults for everything you don't
specify.

Synopsis:

  ###### simple ######

  opts = Trollop::options do
    opt :monkey, "Use monkey mode."
    opt :goat, "Use goat model", :default => true
    opt :num_limbs, "Set number of limbs", :default => 4
  end

  p opts

  ###### complex ######

  opts = Trollop::options do
    version "test 1.2.3 (c) 2007 William M."
    banner <<-EOS
  Test is an awesome program that does something very, very important.

  Usage:
         test [options] <filenames>+
  where [options] are:
  EOS

    opt :ignore, "Ignore incorrect values"
    opt :file, "Extra data filename to read in, with a very long option
description like this one", :type => String
    opt :volume, "Volume level", :default => 3.0
    opt :iters, "Number of iterations", :default => 5
  end
  Trollop::die :volume, "must be non-negative" if opts[:volume] < 0
  Trollop::die :file, "must exist" unless File.exists?(opts[:file]) if
opts[:file]

== REQUIREMENTS:

* none

Changes:

== 1.5 / 2007-03-31
* --help and --version do the right thing even if the rest of the
  command line is incorrect.
* Added #conflicts and #depends to model dependencies and exclusivity
  between arguments.
* Minor bugfixes.

  http://trollop.rubyforge.org
Jonas P. (Guest)
2007/4/1, William M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> option parsing, and sensible defaults for everything you don't
>   end
>   Usage:
>   Trollop::die :file, "must exist" unless File.exists?(opts[:file]) if opts[:file]
> * Added #conflicts and #depends to model dependencies and exclusivity
>   between arguments.
> * Minor bugfixes.
>
>   http://trollop.rubyforge.org
>
> --
> William <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Hi William,

it's indeed a really nice parser. I especially liked how it's small
and still very powerful. What do you think it would take to add a
groff -> man output generator ?
William M. (Guest)
Excerpts from Jonas P.'s message of Sun Apr 01 02:57:54 -0700
2007:
> it's indeed a really nice parser. I especially liked how it's small
> and still very powerful. What do you think it would take to add a
> groff -> man output generator ?

There's a gnu tool called "help2man" that works very well at turning
Trollop output into a man page, especially if you format things how it
expects them.

I've just release version 1.6, which doesn't do the curses screen-width
detection magic unless it's running on a terminal. This is necessary for
help2man (and "less"!) to work right.
Jonas P. (Guest)
2007/4/2, William M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> detection magic unless it's running on a terminal. This is necessary for
> help2man (and "less"!) to work right.

Cool ! I might try it on my next project. Do you plan to add a default
usage if no banner is given ? Something like : "Usage :
#{File.basename($0)} [OPTIONS] ...".