Forum: Ruby FastRI always returns nil on OS X

Daniel B. (Guest)
Hi all,

OS X (10.4.9)
Ruby 1.8.6 (built from source)
FastRI 0.3.0

I installed FastRI seemingly without issue, fired up fastri-server, but
I always get back nil.

daniel-bergers-computer:~ djberge$ ps -ax | grep fast
  2775  p1  S      0:05.53 ruby /usr/local/bin/fastri-server
  4013  p1  S+     0:00.00 grep fast
daniel-bergers-computer:~ djberge$ fri Array#length
nil
daniel-bergers-computer:~ djberge$ fri -v
fri 0.3.0 (2007-01-29)

Other information of possible interest:

irb(main):001:0> require 'socket'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> Socket.gethostname
=> "daniel-bergers-computer.local"

daniel-bergers-computer:~ djberge$ nslookup localhost
Server:         192.168.0.1
Address:        192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,

Dan
Mauricio F. (Guest)
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 01:13:59PM +0900, Daniel B. wrote:
> daniel-bergers-computer:~ djberge$ fri Array#length
> nil
> daniel-bergers-computer:~ djberge$ fri -v
> fri 0.3.0 (2007-01-29)

I couldn't reproduce it on OSX 10.4.9 + Ruby 1.8.6 + FastRI 0.3.0 (that
is,
theoretically the very same setup).

However, I noticed that the stdlib rdoc documentation wasn't being
generated
on 'make install', so I had to 'make install-doc' manually after
building
1.8.6. If you're getting
  $ fastri-server -b
  Indexed:
  * 0 methods
  * 0 classes/modules
'make install-doc' should help.

You can try qri (identical to fri but using the local index, thus
without
needing the DRb service, and a bit slower) to discard network/DRb
issues, but
that doesn't seem to be the culprit.
Daniel B. (Guest)
Mauricio F. wrote:
>>  4013  p1  S+     0:00.00 grep fast
> 1.8.6. If you're getting
>   $ fastri-server -b
>   Indexed:
>   * 0 methods
>   * 0 classes/modules
> 'make install-doc' should help.
>
> You can try qri (identical to fri but using the local index, thus without
> needing the DRb service, and a bit slower) to discard network/DRb issues, but
> that doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Running make install-doc + fastri-server -b did the trick.

Many thanks,

Dan
Bob E. (Guest)

I have it installed on OS X, with ruby 1.8.5, and it seems to work
for some things and not for others.
It seems as if my rdoc database has not been consistently generated.
Is that true for you as well?

Bob E.
http://www.junitfactory.com/
Daniel B. (Guest)
On Apr 1, 7:54 pm, Bil K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> You're a day early; Berger on a Mac?
>
> :)

Heh, nope, I bought a quad Xeon Mac tower 2 weeks ago. No joke. :)

I posted this as a bug report on the FastRI project page, btw. I've
used it on Linux, Solaris and Windows with no issue. Not sure what's
happening on OS X.

Dan
Bil K. (Guest)
Daniel B. wrote on 31 Mar '07: