Forum: Ruby Newbie needs a pointer

unknown (Guest)
Hi all, just started looking at Ruby in earnest today and my logic has
failed me already. Can
someone provide some subtle hints are to where the following code needs
attension. Its currently
stuck in a continuous loop, and 'q' doesnt exit the loop.

#a continous loop until 'q' is press
puts "Please enter your name?"
name=gets
while (name!='q')
  puts "welcome, #{name}Enter your name again:"
  name=gets

Offhand, I'd guess that the return value from gets also includes the
newline char(s).
Try:
    name = gets.chomp
Gene T. (Guest)
On Mar 30, 12:00 pm, removed_email_address@domain.invalid
(removed_email_address@domain.invalid) wrote:

> end

irb(main):024:0> name=gets
wha
=> "wha\n"
Reid T. (Guest)

puts "Please enter your name?"

String name=gets
puts name.methods
while ( name.chomp != "q")
    puts "welcome, #{name}Enter your name again:"
    name=gets
end
Phillip G. (Guest)

> end

C:\WINDOWS\system32>irb
irb(main):001:0> name = gets
=> "q\n"
irb(main):002:0> name != 'q'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> quit

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ruby -v

Try name = gets.chomp!

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Eek! That was supposed to be My Special Law, _MY_ special law, I tell
you!

T/
Kyle S. (Guest)
your string to quit has garbage (like a \n or somefin) at the end.
A little function like this may help

def same(somestring)
  input=gets
  if somestring==input
    puts "Same"
  else
    puts "#{input}!=#{somestring}"

That will show what you're already seeing.  So add a .length..
def same(somestring)
  input=gets
  if somestring==input
    puts "Same"
  else
    puts "#{input}!=#{somestring}"
    puts "input.length=#{input.length}"
    puts "somestring.length=#{somestring.length}"

Humm....
so what do we do?  strip.
you _could_ do

input=input.strip

But that's not fun.  Use a bang at the end of common functions to use
the dangerous destructive fun version :) usually a ! changes the
object itself

so input.strip!

def same(somestring)
  input=gets
  input.strip!
  if somestring==input
    puts "Same"
  else
    puts "#{input}!=#{somestring}"
    puts "input.length=#{input.length}"
    puts "somestring.length=#{somestring.length}"

Does that help?
Sebastian H. (Guest)
> #a continous loop until 'q' is press
> puts "Please enter your name?"
> name=gets
> while (name!='q')
>   puts "welcome, #{name}Enter your name again:"
>   name=gets
>
> end

After name=gets name contains the string that the user typed including
the
enter. So if the user enters 'q', the value of name is "q\n". You can
remove
the \n with the chomp method (i.e. use name=gets.chomp instead of
name=gets).

HTH,
Sebastian
unknown (Guest)
Thanks for all suggestions. IRB provides such a neat method to step
through the program, would not
have thought of it except for the suggestions.

When I decided to take a look at Ruby I was concerned that I would not
be able to receive suppport
(as python/php/asp.net still seem to reign supreme) , but this newsgroup
has allayed all my
doubts.

Thanks for the help.

btw => .chomp! works a .treat!