Forum: Ruby on Rails [OT] Starting Mongrel on Mac: Launchd or Crontab?

Steve R. (Guest)
I have some Rails apps I use on my Mac to do brutally stupid stuff like
track
time and activities. They're always running, but each time I restart, I
(duh) have to restart the Mongrels.

Well, I know better than that, right? So I dug around in Google to find
out
how people are getting Mongrels started using Launchd. There are some
detailed posts, but none of them seemed to work. My hack-o-the-day was
use crontab, and I'm not certain that's so bad, but could someone tell
me:
How do you use Launchd to get Mongrels running? Do you categorize them
as
Agents or Daemons? Even though these are stable and just work, what if I
have to kill one off? Will I confuse anything or can I just use kill as
usual (I'm guessing that Mongrel's stop and restart commands won't
work).

Anybody else doing this?

Thanks
launchd is, in theory, the present and future of startup launching on
Mac OS X.  That said, the old methods still exist, are fairly simple
to set up, and are a lot easier to debug.  You might try a
StartupItem (look in /Library/StartupItems) instead.

-faisal
Philip H. (Guest)
> have to kill one off? Will I confuse anything or can I just use kill as
> usual (I'm guessing that Mongrel's stop and restart commands won't work).
>
> Anybody else doing this?

I don't have mine always running so I wrote a widget to control them...

http://blog.pjkh.com/articles/2006/12/20/mongrel-r...

Worked great for me until I switched to litespeed.  I switched because
litespeed will shut down the rails processes if they aren't used after a
period of time freeing up ram for other things... I had a lot of apps,
but
didn't use them very often, which sounds a little different than your
scenerio so it might not make as much sense.

If you try litespeed keep this in mind as well:

http://blog.pjkh.com/articles/2007/03/27/litespeed...

-philip