Forum: Ruby RDT Plugin Eclipse: Debug view does not show variables?

ChrisKaelin (Guest)
Sorry for posting here, I did not find an appropriate eclipse group...
After setting a breakpoint and reaching that breakpoint in the debug
perspective of eclipse, I do not see any variables listed in the
variable view. The debugger seems to work perfectly (step over etc.
work flawlessly).

Running Ruby 1.8.5 on windows with rdt 0.8 on eclipse 3.2.2.

Any idea, what I have to do, to make the variables visible in the
debug perspective? This would make my debug sessions a bit easier ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris
Demetrius G. (Guest)
It's broken.  If you can manage to somehow get the debugger to start
on fixed port 1098, it should work.  Let me know if you do.  If you
look at the Trac tickets for the RDT project, there are several
debugger component tickets all saying the same thing.  All the
examples that show RDT working with variables shown all have the
debugger port set to 1098 in screenshots.

As I noticed on the mail list for RDT, the main developer for RDT will
join a commercial fork  in order to get greater financial support .

RDT is also in competition by the funded "Eclipse DLTK | Dynamic
Languages Toolkit" http://www.eclipsedltk.org/   DLTK for Eclipse has
some working ruby support in a recent developer snapshot, but not in a
stable release as yet.

Netbeans 6.0 is in the same boat.
ChrisKaelin (Guest)
Demetrius G. schrieb:

> RDT is also in competition by the funded "Eclipse DLTK | Dynamic
> Languages Toolkit" http://www.eclipsedltk.org/   DLTK for Eclipse has
> some working ruby support in a recent developer snapshot, but not in a
> stable release as yet.
>
> Netbeans 6.0 is in the same boat.

OK, I found the file, in which one can change the debugger listen port
(I'm not at home currently, so I don't know the name anymore). I
changed it to 1098, and the debugger was listening now on port 1098,
BUT did not work anymore at all ;-)

I'll try some more and post any news...
Too bad, I really started liking eclipse for ruby development, the
debug feature is a must, if you are searching for hidden errors or
wrong expected expression results...
Bret P. (Guest)
> Running Ruby 1.8.5 on windows with rdt 0.8 on eclipse 3.2.2.
>
> Any idea, what I have to do, to make the variables visible in the
> debug perspective? This would make my debug sessions a bit easier ;-)

This is not a problem if you use rdt 0.8 on eclipse 3.1.2.
ChrisKaelin (Guest)
On 30 Mrz., 03:28, "Bret P." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Running Ruby 1.8.5 on windows with rdt 0.8 on eclipse 3.2.2.
>
> > Any idea, what I have to do, to make the variables visible in the
> > debug perspective? This would make my debug sessions a bit easier ;-)
>
> This is not a problem if you use rdt 0.8 on eclipse 3.1.2.

Too bad, 3.1.2 is not listed anymore for download anywhere...
Bret P. (Guest)
On Apr 3, 9:28 am, "ChrisKaelin" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Too bad, 3.1.2 is not listed anymore for download anywhere...

See http://archive.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/index.php

Or you may just want to use the newly released version of RDT (0.9
RC1) which reportedly fixes the debug problem.