Forum: Ruby Help me about nil check of veriable( question of a niw bie)

Sasaki (Guest)
on 2007-03-27 12:30
Hi guys,
        I have a string variable named as 'last_name'. how can i check
NULL(nil) of this veriable?

as exapmle
 if ( empty(last_name) )   #*
    # code
else
#code
end

How can I write the syntax in the if statement(*)?
Please help me.

Sasaki
Harold H. (Guest)
On 3/27/07, Sasaki <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Hi,

I think the .nil? method is the one you're looking for:

irb(main):001:0> some_nil = nil
=> nil
irb(main):002:0> some_nil.nil?
=> true

Hope that helps,
-Harold
ChrisH (Guest)
On Mar 27, 4:30 am, Sasaki <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> How can I write the syntax in the if statement(*)?
> Please help me.
>
> Sasaki
>
> --

Note that an empty string is not nil.
So if you need to check for nil or empty try:

if last_name.nil? || last_name.empty? #...

Cheers
Chris