Forum: GNU Radio looking for answers

Zi B. (Guest)
Dear all,

there has been a list of questions that have been puzzling me

1) Can we access the memory of the FPGA on the usrp and store on it
data? If
yes does that mean that i can use the usrp without having to connect it
to a
PC?
2) what are those pins on the USRP (can they be used to connect a
memory)
3) What happens to the usrp when i run a python code on it? is the code
something volatile like a RAM ?or is it loaded on the FPGA?
4)When do I need to play with the FPGA registers?

thanks in advance
ziad
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 08:58:53AM -0700, bellzii wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> there has been a list of questions that have been puzzling me
>
> 1) Can we access the memory of the FPGA on the usrp and store on it data? If
> yes does that mean that i can use the usrp without having to connect it to a
> PC?

There's very little memory in the FPGA.  The FPGA is an Altera EP1C12,
take a look at the data sheet for the details.

> 2) what are those pins on the USRP (can they be used to connect a memory)

If you can figure out how to interface to some kind of memory with the
available 32-pins (assuming 1 Basic Tx, 1 Basic Rx) then yes.

> 3) What happens to the usrp when i run a python code on it? is the code
> something volatile like a RAM ?or is it loaded on the FPGA?

No C++ or Python code ever runs on the USRP.  All of that code runs on
the
host computer.

Take a look at this:

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UsrpRfxDiagrams

Also, you may want to take a look at the USRP schematics.  Directions
for downloading the schematics can be found here
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki

Eric