Forum: Ruby on Rails MySQL Gem - x86_64-linux

Al E. (Guest)
on 2007-03-24 14:31
Can somebody tell me how to get the MySQL Gem to build its native
extensions under x86_64 linux?

I say:
 gem install mysql -- -with-mysql-dir=/usr/lib64/mysql

I get:

checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
[...]
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

--Al Evans
Al E. (Guest)
on 2007-03-24 17:04
Al Evans wrote:
> Can somebody tell me how to get the MySQL Gem to build its native
> extensions under x86_64 linux?
>

> I say:
>  gem install mysql -- -with-mysql-dir=/usr/lib64/mysql
>
> I get:
>
> checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
> checking for main() in -lm... yes
> [...]
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.

Urk, never mind. The right thing to do was apparently

gem install mysql -- -with-mysql-config=/usr/bin/mysql-config

(Though I actually did this in the install directory via setup.rb.)

--Al Evans