Forum: Ruby Ruby-C Book?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Robert H. (Guest)
on 2007-03-24 10:43
I am still trying to improve my poor C and Ruby-C knowledge,
today I managed to use rb_iv_set and rb_iv_get successfully ... wow ;)

But what I would really like to have would be a Pickaxe2-like
book dedicated to the C Side of ruby AT BEST with examples.

Pickaxe2 has a chapter, and while Pickaxe2 is one of my all-time
favourite books of programming language books (granted, many others
are so boring so maybe thats quite easy ... :D) - the chapter
about the C side is really very very short.

My current method is to dig through other people's code,
trying to understand and so on, but it would be darn awesome
if such a book would exist. In english ... :P


How high are the chances that such a book would hit the retail
stores the next uh lets say... 12 months? (Hope dies last!)
Michael G. (Guest)
on 2007-03-24 14:47
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

On 3/24/07, Marc H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> I am still trying to improve my poor C and Ruby-C knowledge,
> today I managed to use rb_iv_set and rb_iv_get successfully ... wow ;)
>
> But what I would really like to have would be a Pickaxe2-like
> book dedicated to the C Side of ruby AT BEST with examples.


I would also like to see this.  My C knowledge is minimal at best, and
my
knowledge of tying Ruby and C is very limited.

Pickaxe2 has a chapter, and while Pickaxe2 is one of my all-time
> favourite books of programming language books (granted, many others
> are so boring so maybe thats quite easy ... :D) - the chapter
> about the C side is really very very short.
>
> My current method is to dig through other people's code,
> trying to understand and so on, but it would be darn awesome
> if such a book would exist. In english ... :P


If you compiled Ruby from source, be sure to check out README.EXT.  If
not,
it's posted online: http://blog.evanweaver.com/files/readme.ext.txt

Also be sure to check out:
http://www.eigenclass.org/hiki/ruby+internals+guide

How high are the chances that such a book would hit the retail
> stores the next uh lets say... 12 months? (Hope dies last!)
>
> --
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>
>

HTH,
Michael G.
Mark V. (Guest)
on 2007-03-24 18:44
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 24, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Marc H. wrote:

>
> My current method is to dig through other people's code,
> trying to understand and so on, but it would be darn awesome
> if such a book would exist. In english ... :P
>
> How high are the chances that such a book would hit the retail
> stores the next uh lets say... 12 months? (Hope dies last!)

It's not a book, but I just gave a presentation on this topic.
Perhaps my slides will help. They are at http://www.ociweb.com/mark/
Ruby_C_Extensions.pdf. Comments on the slides are welcomed!
Robert H. (Guest)
on 2007-03-30 16:38
> It's not a book, but I just gave a presentation on this topic.
> Perhaps my slides will help. They are at http://www.ociweb.com/mark/
> Ruby_C_Extensions.pdf. Comments on the slides are welcomed!


Hi there,

its a GREAT slide, visually very appealing. I think by far the best
about Ruby + C I saw so far. :)

It for sure helps but as you said, its not a book - I guess a real book
on this subject would be a lot of work and maybe not enough people
interested (compared to general ruby stuff), plus those that are
already C gurus would maybe not need it ... :(

Anyway, thanks for this great slide!

PS: How did you make the small boxes+arrows?
Mark V. (Guest)
on 2007-03-30 17:21
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 30, 2007, at 7:38 AM, Marc H. wrote:

>> It's not a book, but I just gave a presentation on this topic.
>> Perhaps my slides will help. They are at http://www.ociweb.com/mark/
>> Ruby_C_Extensions.pdf. Comments on the slides are welcomed!
>
> Hi there,
>
> its a GREAT slide, visually very appealing. I think by far the best
> about Ruby + C I saw so far. :)

Thanks!

> It for sure helps but as you said, its not a book - I guess a real
> book
> on this subject would be a lot of work and maybe not enough people
> interested (compared to general ruby stuff), plus those that are
> already C gurus would maybe not need it ... :(

Right. If there was demand for it, I'd consider writing a book.

> Anyway, thanks for this great slide!
>
> PS: How did you make the small boxes+arrows?

I used PowerPoint.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.