Forum: Ruby on Rails Database ER Digram <=> Rails Migrations Files : Does such a

Greg H. (Guest)
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a round-tripping tool for "Database ER
Digram"
<=> "Rails Migrations Files" available?  That is to:

1) Visually plan your database (UML ER diagram) => export Rails
Migrations
Files &

2) Ability to modify Rails Migration Files and then => read these files
and
produce a visual Database UML ER digram

Thanks
Greg
dysinger (Guest)
No

On Mar 22, 9:16 pm, "Greg H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
(Guest)
This isn't what you're specifically looking for, but it's an article
about how to generate E-R diagrams from your Models using OmniGraffle
(awesome Mac-only charting app).

Sorry I don't have a solution, just a pointer, but it's a pointer
nonetheless.  :)

- Dan

On Mar 23, 12:16 am, "Greg H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Andrew S. (Guest)
On 26 Mar 2007, at 01:01, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> This isn't what you're specifically looking for, but it's an article
> about how to generate E-R diagrams from your Models using OmniGraffle
> (awesome Mac-only charting app).
>
> Sorry I don't have a solution, just a pointer, but it's a pointer
> nonetheless.  :)

I can't seem to see your pointer -- could you please post it (again)?

Thanks and regards,
Andy S.
Mark T. (Guest)
> Does anyone know if there is a round-tripping tool for "Database ER Digram"
> <=> "Rails Migrations Files" available?  That is to:
>
> 1) Visually plan your database (UML ER diagram) => export Rails Migrations
> Files

Here's an E-R diagramming tool that can output Rails migrations (Mac
only):
http://www.malcolmhardie.com/sqleditor/cocoa/

Here's a beta of a slick online one that's all web2.0 and ajaxy:
http://www.egenial.com.br/er

(and here's the omnigraffle link:
http://www.hackdiary.com/archives/000093.html)

- Mark.
Greg H. (Guest)
have you tried SQLEditor Mark?  Is it solid/stable? Is there good
support?
(i.e. from MalcolmHardie Solutions?)
Andrew S. (Guest)
On 26 Mar 2007, at 22:00, Mark T. wrote:
> Here's an E-R diagramming tool that can output Rails migrations (Mac
> only):
> http://www.malcolmhardie.com/sqleditor/cocoa/
>
> Here's a beta of a slick online one that's all web2.0 and ajaxy:
> http://www.egenial.com.br/er
>
> (and here's the omnigraffle link: http://www.hackdiary.com/archives/
> 000093.html)

Excellent, thank you for those links.