Forum: Ruby how to implement SMTP's "RCPT To" func in ruby

Huang H. (Guest)
Hi all:
  I want do a email reality validation, it need use a smtp's command
"RCPT to". I found a php implement there <http://www.zend.com/zend/
spotlight/ev12apr.php#Heading16>, but I can't find a ruby edition.  I
search many stuff, like simplehttp and Net::Smtp, I found maybe there
is no way to implemnt "RCPT to". Now, I just can validate the domain,
can't validate single mail address.
 Can you help me??

Thanks
unknown (Guest)
lnes wrote:
> Hi all:
>   I want do a email reality validation, it need use a smtp's command
> "RCPT to". I found a php implement there <http://www.zend.com/zend/
> spotlight/ev12apr.php#Heading16>, but I can't find a ruby edition.  I
> search many stuff, like simplehttp and Net::Smtp, I found maybe there
> is no way to implemnt "RCPT to". Now, I just can validate the domain,
> can't validate single mail address.

First, the method you want to use is impractical at best, as a
mail-server might just say "Yes, I have that e-mail address", even if it
doesn't exist, or might even say "I don't have an email address like
that". Thank the world's spammers for that.

The only way to verify an email address is sending an email there, and
require a link to an activation code.
(There was a similar discussion on the security-basics ML on
securityfocus.com a while ago.)

Second, you can just use Ruby's Telnet library: establish a telnet
session on port 25 (SMTP), and send the required commands. Those can be
found either in the postfix manual, or in the SMTP RFC.

>  Can you help me??
No. ;)