Forum: Ruby Ruby Weekly News 12th - 18th March 2007

Tim S. (Guest)
Links are at http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20070318.html

Ruby Weekly News 12th - 18th March 2007
Ruby
   forum).

   This edition is brought to you by Tim S. and Robert Postill.

Articles and Announcements
==========================

     * New O'Reilly book features Matz
     ---------------------------------

       ChrisH stumbled on an announcement for a new O'Reilly book
"Beautiful
       Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think", which includes
an
       essay by Matz.

       Royalties from the book will be donated to Amnesty International.

     * South Florida Software Symposium - May 18 - 20, 2007

       If you're in Florida between the 18th and 20th of May you may
well
       want to get yourself down to this event. Its a No Fluff Just
Stuff
       event so expect plenty of cool talks.

     * Google Summer of Code (please forward)

       Pet Eyler announces that Ruby Central have again been selected as
       mentoring organisation for the Google Summer of Code.

       The deadline for student proposals is March 24.
       "If you're interested, the time to act is now!"
       A list of ideas has been put up on rubycentral.org.

       "If you're still interested in mentoring, but haven't contacted
me
       yet, please do."

       In another thread, 'KDE Ruby SOC projects', Richard Dale says the
KDE
       project was also selected as a mentoring organisation, and there
is
       already one Ruby-related KDE proposal.

       Richard listed some possible projects that he hopes students will
       consider, including "Interactive visual irb. Like a Smalltalk
       environment I think ruby projects should be developed against an
       always running program."

User Group News
===============

     * North Bay Ruby U. Group March Meeting (Sebastopol, CA)

       Rob Orsini presented "Exploring Ruport" at this month's North Bay
       (California) Ruby U. Group meeting.

     * London Ruby U. Group - 12th March, 2007

       The London Ruby U. Group had a "code review" meeting, where
members
       submitted their code for discussion.

     * Phoenix Ruby U. Group March Meeting

       JRuby and RSpec were the topics of discussion in March's Phoenix
RUG
       meeting.

     * Milwaukee RUG Meeting - This Wednesday 3/14/07 @ 5:30-7:30

       The agenda for this week's Milwaukee RUG meeting was "Leveraging
       CruiseControl for Continuous Integration", "Continuous
Integration for
       Rails", by Tom J..

Threads
=======

  Who's maintaining log4r?
  ------------------------

   This thread kicked off with the Jeff having made some patches for
Log4r
   but finding himself unable to submit them to the project maintainer.

   Tom C. (admin of Rubyforge) weighed in and conferred with the
chaps
   at Ruby Central about what to do with unmaintained projects.

   Various suggestions were offered including forcibly adding
maintainers to
   a project and forking new projects from the existing codebase. The
   rubyforge guys decided they prefered forking to fiddling with
existing
   projects.

   Eventaully the original maintainer came forward so hopefully this
   important project will soon be getting some cool new features.

  shutting irb up
  ---------------

   A top tip started this short thread. For those moments when you want
irb
   to be that little bit extra terse simply follow the instructions
herein.

  Ruby and Mobile
  ---------------

   SunRaySon asks if it is possible to develop Ruby applications for
mobile
   phones.

   Justin C. and Zouplaz point out the WinCE and Symbian ports of
Ruby.
   WAP and SMS technologies can also be used.

  QTRuby + QT4 + Win32
  --------------------

   "I would like to use the fantastic QT4 for Win32 using the Qtruby
   bindings", writes Uma G.. Has anyone managed to compile this on
   Windows?

   Hans F. links to a recent thread in the QtRuby forums where a
poster
   explains how he's successfully done this.

   Also in that thread, Richard Dale says that a qt4-ruby-mswin32 binary
gem
   is a "top priority" for the next QtRuby release, which will make life
much
   easier.

  What graphical frontend for a simple 2D game?

   ChrisKaelin "just started for fun a little project creating an
rpg-like
   game (you know, dwarves, elves'n'stuff)", and decided it was time to
put a
   graphical interface on it. What game or graphics libraries should he
use?

   The best option is Rubygame, followed by Ruby/SDL, replies Steven
   Davidovitz. RUDL is also available, however it is "fairly old and
outdated
   with the last release in 2004".

   Editor: You can also use a non-game-oriented graphical toolkit that
has
   Ruby bindings, like Tk, Fox, wxWidgets, GTK+/GNOME, or Qt/KDE. RAA
lists
   some Ruby games as well.

New Releases
============

  JRuby rails-integration release announcement

   This project aims to make deployment of Ruby projects into WARs
possible.
   It looks like a cool project so give it a shot.

  RSS Parser 0.1.7
  ----------------

   Kouhei S. announced the latest release of RSS parser. Note the
Atom and
   Dublin core godness included in this release.

  One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.6-25
  ---------------------------------

   Curt H. released a new version of the One-Click Ruby Installer for
   Windows. The only change is the upgrade to Ruby 1.8.6.

  ruby-semacode-0.7.3
  -------------------

   A new release of Ruby Semacode is out. If you're wondering what a
semacode
   is check out http://www.semacode.org.

  Ruby-HL7 0.1.23
  ---------------

   The latest release of HL7 parsing and generation library has been
   announced by Mark G.. Despite the version number this is
apparently
   the first public release so props to Mark :)

  Ruby 1.8.6 has been released
  ----------------------------

   Akinori MUSHA: "I am pleased to announce that Ruby 1.8.6, the latest
   release from the 1.8 stable branch, has finally been released."

   > This version of Ruby is a steady and reasonable enhancement of the
1.8
   > series including many bug and security fixes, standard library
updates,
   > feature enhancements and performance improvements keeping high
backward
   > compatibility with the previous release (1.8.5).

end
===

We hoped you enjoyed this edition of the Ruby Weekly News.

Anyone can contribute to the next newsletter - simply visit
http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/newsletters/contribute/next to summarise
one or more threads from the list. Thanks!
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 21, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Tim S. wrote:

>        Pet Eyler announces that Ruby Central have again been
> selected...

I love this typo.  He's not really our pet though, we are his pets.  ;)

James Edward G. II
pat eyler (Guest)
On 3/26/07, James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Tim S. wrote:
>
> >        Pet Eyler announces that Ruby Central have again been
> > selected...
>
> I love this typo.  He's not really our pet though, we are his pets.  ;)

You may have uncovered my plan JEG-man, but you're too late.  No
one can stop me now.   Bwahahahaha