Forum: Ruby YAML (Yet Another Meaningless Languagepopularitystatisticals

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
I couldn't resist ... anyhow one of my fellow Forth freaks does this
every year. Yes, Ruby is ahead of Forth. But Forth is ahead of Haskell
and Erlang. :)

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/comp.lang-statistics/

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
unknown (Guest)
> I couldn't resist ... anyhow one of my fellow Forth freaks does this
> every year. Yes, Ruby is ahead of Forth. But Forth is ahead of Haskell
> and Erlang. :)
>
> http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/comp.lang-statistics/

That's really interesting :-) Not so much from a relative point of view
(for me), but more from seeing the different interest profiles of
languages, and how their popularity waxes and wanes. Would be nice to
see them on a graph.

The other stat is how much total usenet postings drop over the period!
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
> see them on a graph.
>
> The other stat is how much total usenet postings drop over the period!

The other thing I found interesting is that Erlang isn't on any of the
lists. Do they not even have a Usenet group?

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
Chad P. (Guest)

> The other stat is how much total usenet postings drop over the period!

Actually, I found that the most interesting thing about that page -- the
visible trend in Usenet use across all the listed languages.  The
significant drops in Usenet activity, and the varying cultural
differences between languages with regard to Usenet, all make a Usenet
activity survey an extremely unreliable measure of language popularity
(unless the only population whose interest in various programming
languages you care about is Usenet users).  The movement of various
languages in the Usenet activity rankings could, in combination with a
more universal measure, provide an interesting bit of information about
the cultures of various language communities, though.