Forum: Ruby on Rails What's your development environment?

daniel fischer (Guest)
on 2007-03-20 12:05
Right now I have an iMac, but I'm considering buying a Macbook or Mac
Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display
24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone
would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be
great.
MichaelLatta (Guest)
I have a MacBook Pro with a 30" display and I still wish for more
screen space.  I keep TextMate open in a window that is about 1/2 the
screen.  The other half gets about 2-3 Terminal windows for the server
and general command use.  THen there are numerous browser windows and
such that are in front or behind as needed.  I would like a second 30"
to put all the reference material and the browser window I am using
for testing.  That way I could look at it all at once.  If Apple
announces new displays soon I may get there.  At the same time, it is
possible to work on just the MacBook Pro screen when traveling, I just
do more window management.

Michael

On Mar 20, 3:05 am, daniel fischer <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Jason R. (Guest)
Really really want a Mac, but for now it's either Windows (work
computer)
and CMD or on Linux at home, bash, with Vim and Firefox (firebug,
webdev).

I'm a command-line junkie, but man, TextMate for Windows would ROCK
(yes,
I'll eventually give e a try).

Jason
François B. (Guest)
Hi all,

2007/3/20, Jason R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Really really want a Mac, but for now it's either Windows (work computer)
> and CMD or on Linux at home, bash, with Vim and Firefox (firebug, webdev).

I just switched to Ubuntu from Windows XP.  Very good so far.  I
reported on my changes here:
http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2007/03/19/now-on-ubuntu

Jason, on Windows, you should try the e Text Editor:
http://www.e-texteditor.com/.  It uses the same bundles as TextMate,
except it runs on Windows.  Before I switched to Ubuntu, that's what I
was using exclusively.

Bye !
--
François Beausoleil
http://blog.teksol.info/

to the original poster, i highly recommned the 24" but if you got money
to spare, the 30" is awesome.

when i start making some money, id like to get a imac 24" connected to
my 30" dell. or maybe just get a mac pro with duel 30's!.

MichaelLatta wrote:
> I have a MacBook Pro with a 30" display and I still wish for more
> screen space.  I keep TextMate open in a window that is about 1/2 the
> screen.  The other half gets about 2-3 Terminal windows for the server
> and general command use.  THen there are numerous browser windows and
> such that are in front or behind as needed.  I would like a second 30"
> to put all the reference material and the browser window I am using
> for testing.  That way I could look at it all at once.  If Apple
> announces new displays soon I may get there.  At the same time, it is
> possible to work on just the MacBook Pro screen when traveling, I just
> do more window management.
>
> Michael
>
> On Mar 20, 3:05 am, daniel fischer <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Kaps L. (Guest)
on 2007-03-20 16:33
daniel fischer wrote:
> Right now I have an iMac, but I'm considering buying a Macbook or Mac
> Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display
> 24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone
> would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be
> great.

MacBook.  I have 2 x 19" LCDs from the legacy of my Windows development
past, but haven't bought a dvi adaptor yet.  To be honest I love my
MacBook and screen realestate hasn't proven to be a problem developing
rails apps. I love the portability, and it pretty much goes where I do.
A spare battery and a shoulder satchel/bag will be my next purchases
though.  I guess I could use a larger desktop for Flash development, and
Aperture, but I'm pretty happy with it as it is. I don't know if I could
handle being tethered anymore.
daniel fischer (Guest)
on 2007-03-20 21:26
kaps lock wrote:
> daniel fischer wrote:
>> Right now I have an iMac, but I'm considering buying a Macbook or Mac
>> Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display
>> 24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone
>> would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be
>> great.
>
> MacBook.  I have 2 x 19" LCDs from the legacy of my Windows development
> past, but haven't bought a dvi adaptor yet.  To be honest I love my
> MacBook and screen realestate hasn't proven to be a problem developing
> rails apps. I love the portability, and it pretty much goes where I do.
> A spare battery and a shoulder satchel/bag will be my next purchases
> though.  I guess I could use a larger desktop for Flash development, and
> Aperture, but I'm pretty happy with it as it is. I don't know if I could
> handle being tethered anymore.

You can add two monitors to a macbook? How? I thought only one monitor
per a graphics card?
jfrankov (Guest)
I got the MacBook Pro 17" with the 7200-rpm drive option, and it ships
with 2 gigs of ram. I also picked up a second monitor by Gateway. They
have a nice 22" HD LCD (model FPD2275W) for around $400 at Best Buy
that has a great picture and connects via DVI. I'm quite happy.

The MacBooks are nice too but I got tired of command-tabbing around my
12" Powerbook screen all the time.

On Mar 20, 3:05 am, daniel fischer <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Kaps L. (Guest)
on 2007-03-21 00:08
daniel fischer wrote:
> You can add two monitors to a macbook? How? I thought only one monitor
> per a graphics card?

No, you can't add two (that I know of), I was just mentioning that I had
a couple of spare 19"ers left over from my evil days. I plan on using
one of them, I'd use both if I could though. I sort of miss that
capability.