Forum: Ruby on Rails "acts_as_field" behaviour for model function

Ivor P. (Guest)
Hi

I want to create a model attribute that looks exactly like a db field
but is
infact the result of a model function.

Example
I have a user with name and surname.

I want to be able to do @user.fullname which will then call a function
that
returns "name surname" as the full name, and I would like to be able to
pass
"name fullname" and have it broken into the seperate fields before
saving to
the db, in otherwords I would like it to function exacly asif there is a
fullname field.

I know this can be done, I just dont know where to start looking for
this.

Thanks in advance
Ivor
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
Just define a method on the model like so:

def fullname
    "#{self.name} #{self.surname}"
end

def fullname=(value)
    value = value.split
    self.name = value[0]
    self.surname = value[1..value.size]   # in the case of long last
names like van Hook
end

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Ivor P. (Guest)
awesine jeremy.

thanks a lot. I am going to be doing a fair amount of those. so
basically
you write 2 functions, one looks like a setter because of the "=" sign
at
the end...

very nice.

cheers