Forum: Ruby How to convert a String to an Array?

RubyCrazy (Guest)
Is there a way to convert a String to an Array? I could only find the
following -
'hello world'.scan(/./)

Thanks.
Farrel L. (Guest)
On 16/03/07, RubyCrazy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Is there a way to convert a String to an Array? I could only find the
> following -
> 'hello world'.scan(/./)
>
> Thanks.

irb(main):001:0> "hello world".split(//)
=> ["h", "e", "l", "l", "o", " ", "w", "o", "r", "l", "d"]

I'm not sure if this is functionally the same or if there is some kind
of performance boost using split instead of scan.

Farrel
Peter S. (Guest)
RubyCrazy wrote:
> Is there a way to convert a String to an Array? I could only find the
> following -
> 'hello world'.scan(/./)

And what's the problem with that? Or do you want a different result?

Alternatively you can do

'hello world'.split(' ')

or

'hello world'.split(/\s+/)

if you want to split on any number of whitespace chars.

If you want to split just on single spaces, your original solution is
faster.

Cheers,
Peter
__