Forum: Ruby "gem update --system" breaks under a non-standard prefix

Jeremy H. (Guest)
It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
then "gem update --system" breaks.

I have rubygems installed as a non-privileged user.  Everything works
fine with GEM_HOME and RUBYLIB set properly in the environment.  But,
when I try to upgrade rubygems from 0.9.1 -> 0.9.2 , "gem update
--system" fails.

[...]
setup.rb:515:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/bin/gem
(Errno::EACCES)

Running "update_rubygems" manually doesn't fair any better.

$ update_rubygems
Error: Cannot find RubyGems Update Path!

RubyGems has already been updated.
The rubygems-update gem may now be uninstalled.
E.g.    gem uninstall rubygems-update

Eventually I found a successful workaround...

cd $GEM_HOME/gems/rubygems-update-*/ &&
ruby setup.rb all --prefix=$GEM_PREFIX

...where $GEM_PREFIX is the prefix I installed rubygems to.  I'm glad
that it worked, but surely it should be easier than this?  It would be
nice if "gem update --system" accepted --prefix=$GEM_PREFIX , but as
far as I can tell it does not.

Regards,

Jeremy H.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 15, 2007, at 15:50, Jeremy H. wrote:

> It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
> then "gem update --system" breaks.
>
> [... bug report ...]

Did you file a bug in the tracker?  I guarantee your bug report will
get lost if you don't.
Jeremy H. (Guest)
On 2007-03-18, Eric H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2007, at 15:50, Jeremy H. wrote:
>
>> It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
>> then "gem update --system" breaks.
>>
>> [... bug report ...]
>
> Did you file a bug in the tracker?

Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist?  :-(

OK, it's done.  (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
tracker.)

Regards,

Jeremy H.
Sylvain J. (Guest)
On Sunday 18 March 2007, Jeremy H. wrote:
> anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
> encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist?  :-(
>
> OK, it's done.  (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
> tracker.)
It's better to check if the problem has already been reported before ...

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=8470...
Jeremy H. (Guest)
On 2007-03-18, Sylvain J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> It's better to check if the problem has already been reported before ...
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=8470...

D'oh!  I've added a note to my submission pointing out that it's a
duplicate of yours.  Thanks for catching that.

Regards,

Jeremy H.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 18, 2007, at 04:45, Jeremy H. wrote:
> Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
> anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
> encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist?  :-(

:(

> OK, it's done.  (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
> tracker.)

Awesome, thanks.