Forum: Ruby Merge / Diff algo

Robert J. (Guest)
Is there any lib to do simple text based merges (3 way) from Ruby?

Perhaps it's simple enough to do without an external lib.  Just need
to see which lines child1 added to parent, which ones child1 deleted,
and same for child2, and then merge them - in order...

Hmmm... perhaps I should use an external lib...
John C. (Guest)
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, S. Robert J. wrote:

> Is there any lib to do simple text based merges (3 way) from Ruby?
>
> Perhaps it's simple enough to do without an external lib.  Just need
> to see which lines child1 added to parent, which ones child1 deleted,
> and same for child2, and then merge them - in order...
>
> Hmmm... perhaps I should use an external lib...

`diff3 -Em myfile oldfile yourfile`

John C.                             Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email :
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
New Zealand
Austin Z. (Guest)
On 3/15/07, S. Robert J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Is there any lib to do simple text based merges (3 way) from Ruby?
>
> Perhaps it's simple enough to do without an external lib.  Just need
> to see which lines child1 added to parent, which ones child1 deleted,
> and same for child2, and then merge them - in order...
>
> Hmmm... perhaps I should use an external lib...

I seem to recall that someone had put some merge operations around
Diff::LCS.

-austin