Forum: Ruby ri slownes and complete class docs

Jenda K. (Guest)
on 2007-03-15 15:07
De primero, why the heck is it so horribly slow? If I (horrors) perldoc
a module into HTML, redirect to file and open in a browser, it's instant
... even though I get all the docs for the module with all the methods
etc. If I "ri" a class I wait five seconds to get the intro and the list
of constants, properties, methods and includes. Is it a problem with the
install (InstantRails 1.6) or is that to be expected?

De segundo, is there a way to tell ri to generate a single file
containing the intro, the lists and the descriptions of the individual
methods for a class? Preferably interlinked? It's a bit annoying to have
to type ri Some.Class, wait five seconds, find the method I'm interested
in, switch back to the shell, bring up last submitted command, append a
dot and the method name, submit and wait another five seconds for the
two lines of documentation about the method.
I'm probably asking for something I'm not supposed to want.

Jenda
Jan S. (Guest)
On 3/15/07, Jenda K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> to type ri Some.Class, wait five seconds, find the method I'm interested
> in, switch back to the shell, bring up last submitted command, append a
> dot and the method name, submit and wait another five seconds for the
> two lines of documentation about the method.
> I'm probably asking for something I'm not supposed to want.
>
> Jenda

1. try fastri
2. use rdoc generated docs, either from your own hdd or from
ruby-doc.org
3. maybe fxri would be useful
4. why the ri is so slow? you may try to find out yourself, or even
better, make it faster - everybody will thank you for that. generally,
I don't like the bitter tone of your posts although this one's a bit
better ;-)

Jano