Forum: Ruby Win32/Process at win32utils

Ze M. (Guest)
on 2007-03-14 18:56
Hi guys, I've made a simple program to test the Process.create:

require 'rubygems'
require 'win32/process'

pgname = "C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe"
x = Process.create :app_name => pgname.to_s
sleep 5
Process.kill(1,x)

This works fine, but if a add at the begining
require_gem 'activerecord'

I get a
testBug.rb:8: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.4 (2006-04-14) [i386-mswin32]

(i get the segfault at the "Process.kill" line....) any ideas ?
I'm on a Windows XP Pro Edition , Service Pack 2 using ruby 1.8.4

Tks in advance,
Ze Maria
Daniel B. (Guest)
On Mar 14, 10:56 am, Ze Maria <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi guys, I've made a simple program to test the Process.create:
>
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'win32/process'
>
> pgname = "C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe"
> x = Process.create :app_name => pgname.to_s
> sleep 5
> Process.kill(1,x)

<snip>

What version of win32-process are you using? As of 0.5.0 the
Process.create method returns a ProcessInfo struct. So, your code
should look like this:

Process.kill(1, x.process_id)

That may not be the issue, though, since you say it works fine until
you add the active_record gem. Can you provide the full backtrace?

Regards,

Dan
Ze M. (Guest)
on 2007-03-15 18:19
Daniel B. wrote:
> On Mar 14, 10:56 am, Ze Maria <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi guys, I've made a simple program to test the Process.create:
>>
>> require 'rubygems'
>> require 'win32/process'
>>
>> pgname = "C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe"
>> x = Process.create :app_name => pgname.to_s
>> sleep 5
>> Process.kill(1,x)
>
> <snip>
>
> What version of win32-process are you using? As of 0.5.0 the
> Process.create method returns a ProcessInfo struct. So, your code
> should look like this:
>
> Process.kill(1, x.process_id)
>
> That may not be the issue, though, since you say it works fine until
> you add the active_record gem. Can you provide the full backtrace?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
Hi Daniel,

I've updated to win32-process 0.5.2:

"

D:\gem search win32-process

win32-process (0.5.2, 0.4.2)

   Adds fork, wait, wait2, waitpid, waitpid2 and a special kill method

"

I still ve the same problem.... I triedwhat you said and i get:

testBug.rb:10: undefined method `process_id' for 1808:Fixnum
(NoMethodError)

btw I'm using ruby 1.8.4 should I upgrade to 1.8.5 ?

Tks in advance,

Ze Maria
Daniel B. (Guest)
On Mar 15, 10:19 am, Ze Maria <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> Process.kill(1,x)
> > you add the active_record gem. Can you provide the full backtrace?
>
> testBug.rb:10: undefined method `process_id' for 1808:Fixnum
> (NoMethodError)

That's odd. It looks like you're still using the 0.4.2 gem. Do a "gem
clean win32-process" and try again. Also, make sure you don't have it
installed manually somewhere else. You can validate by printing out
the Process::WIN32_PROCESS_VERSION constant.

> btw I'm using ruby 1.8.4 should I upgrade to 1.8.5 ?

If it still doesn't work go ahead and try upgrading to 1.8.5.

Regards,

Dan
Ze M. (Guest)
on 2007-03-15 20:05
Daniel B. wrote:
>> > you add the active_record gem. Can you provide the full backtrace?
>>
>> testBug.rb:10: undefined method `process_id' for 1808:Fixnum
>> (NoMethodError)
>
> That's odd. It looks like you're still using the 0.4.2 gem. Do a "gem
> clean win32-process" and try again. Also, make sure you don't have it
> installed manually somewhere else. You can validate by printing out
> the Process::WIN32_PROCESS_VERSION constant.
>
>> btw I'm using ruby 1.8.4 should I upgrade to 1.8.5 ?
>
> If it still doesn't work go ahead and try upgrading to 1.8.5.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,
I did a
"gem clean win32-process"
which gave me:
"
D:\Work\workspace\VlmReconhecimento>gem clean win32-process
Cleaning up installed gems...
Attempting uninstall on win32-process-0.4.2-mswin32
Successfully uninstalled win32-process version 0.4.2
Clean Up Complete
"

now when I execute a
gem search win32-process
I get:
D:\Work\workspace\VlmReconhecimento>gem search win32-process

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

win32-process (0.5.2)
    Adds fork, wait, wait2, waitpid, waitpid2 and a special kill method

Which I think, it's good, now the only version I 've is the latest
version

But I still 've the same problem.....
btw the command "puts Process::WIN32_PROCESS_VERSION" doesn't works,
I get an "uninitialized constant Process::WIN32_PROCESS_VERSION" error

Tks in advance
Ze Maria