Forum: GNU Radio Error on firmware

Kuntal M. (Guest)
Hello,

Please help me out. I am getting this error message whenever I try the
usrper ..... command except the times when I am loading the fpga with my
own .rbf file.

"found unconfigured usrp; needs firmware"

What does this mean? And does it have anything to do with the
microcontroller sitting between the usb and the fpga? Please tell me a
solution for this.

Regards,
Kuntal
Eric B. (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:53:24AM -0700, Kuntal M. wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Please help me out. I am getting this error message whenever I try
> the usrper ..... command except the times when I am loading the fpga
> with my own .rbf file.

> "found unconfigured usrp; needs firmware"
>

> What does this mean? And does it have anything to do with the
> microcontroller sitting between the usb and the fpga? Please tell me
> a solution for this.

It means it found a USRP that didn't have any firmware loaded into the
FX2.

If you are using usrper instead of using the standard host libraries,
you'll need to load firmware into the FX2 before you are able to load
the FPGA rbf.

    [eb@cyan ibu]$ usrper --help
    usrper: invalid option -- -
    usage:
    usrper [-v] [-w <which_board>] [-x] ...
    usrper load_standard_bits
    usrper load_firmware <file.ihx>
    usrper load_fpga <file.rbf>
    usrper write_fpga_reg <reg8> <value32>
    usrper set_fpga_reset {on|off}
    usrper set_fpga_tx_enable {on|off}
    usrper set_fpga_rx_enable {on|off}
    ----- diagnostic routines -----
    usrper led0 {on|off}
    usrper led1 {on|off}
    usrper set_hash0 <hex-string>
    usrper get_hash0
    usrper i2c_read i2c_addr len
    usrper i2c_write i2c_addr <hex-string>
    usrper 9862a_write regno value
    usrper 9862b_write regno value
    usrper 9862a_read regno
    usrper 9862b_read regno

$ usrper load_firmware /usr/local/share/usrp/rev4/std.ihx
$ usrper load_fpga <path-to-my-rbf>

Eric