Forum: Ruby using MS Access on linux through ruby on rails

Ashok K. (Guest)
hi,

i want to access "Microsoft access files(*.mdb)" on linux through ruby
on
rails framework.
is it possible?
if so how?
any examples available?
can any one give me some pointers?

Ashok
Nathan S. (Guest)
On 3/12/07, Ashok K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Ashok

MDB Tools (http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/) is a program (Perl, I
think)
that runs on Linux and lets you access Access files. Looks like it's
read-only, and I haven't tried it, but might help.

Nate
Nathan S. (Guest)
On 3/12/07, Ashok K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Ashok

I just saw this today on the Polishing Ruby blog
(http://blog.zenspider.com/):
activemdb (http://rubyforge.org/projects/activemdb). From the rubyforge
project page:

"Lets non-Windows boxes read MS Access (.mdb) files. Uses
ActiveRecord-ish
reflection to parse table and column names. Intended for exploration and
migration, not production. Requires binaries from the MDB Tools project
(
http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/)."

Nate
John J. (Guest)
Can OpenOffice's database open Access files?
Perhaps there is an angle in from there...
Ashok K. (Guest)
On 3/14/07, Nathan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > any examples available?
>
> "Lets non-Windows boxes read MS Access (.mdb) files. Uses ActiveRecord-ish
> reflection to parse table and column names. Intended for exploration and
> migration, not production. Requires binaries from the MDB Tools project (
> http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/)."

Great !
do u have any idea, how to use this.
as a beginner, i am not getting idea to implement this.
will you?

Ashok

Nate