Forum: Ruby installing ruby and rails on linux without using internet co

Ashok K. (Guest)

i am a newbie. i don't have internet connetion at home.
so all i can do is, i can download individually in internet browsing
centre
and install on my home pc.
currently i am using fedora core 6.
i don't know how to download individual jems file.

it would be great, if any one of you can summaries the steps to install
ruby
and rails on linux.

Ashok
Dennis N. (Guest)
Hi Ashok,

      RoR is a framework for developing web-server based applications.
If
you don't have an internet connection, I am puzzled as to what
the point is -- RoR on a PC without an internet connection is kind of
like a
motorboat in the middle of the Sahara desert -- what would
you do with it?

Dennis
Chris C. (Guest)
On 3/12/07, Dennis N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/12/07, Ashok K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > it would be great, if any one of you can summaries the steps to install
> |                                                                    |
> |  The way to be happy is to be good.      |
> |                                                                    |
> |------------------------------------------------------|

Dennis,
I do not think it is al atll necessary for you to be connected to teh
internet to develop a web application, just to deploy it
John J. (Guest)
not all gems are web-centric.
Though many are.
Dennis N. (Guest)
Hi Chris,

     Good point.  I was a little surprised at the question, and fired
off a
response w/o thinking it through.  However, developing standalone, while
possible, makes it difficult to test for things like -- how well will it
scale to 500+ concurrent users, and - its this UI clearly understandable
anyone besides the original author?

Dennis
Ashok K. (Guest)
On 3/13/07, Dennis N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>      Good point.  I was a little surprised at the question, and fired off
> response w/o thinking it through.  However, developing standalone, while
> possible, makes it difficult to test for things like -- how well will it
> scale to 500+ concurrent users, and - its this UI clearly understandable
> anyone besides the original author?

i am newbie, i am studying ruby on rails.
the internet connection is available in my company. but i don't have at
home.
that is why, i have asked this question.

i have rails standalone package. i don't know, how to install it.
i want to know about installation on linux and windows.

can any one tell me this step.

Ashok

Dennis
Brian C. (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:30:12AM +0900, Ashok K. wrote:
> i have rails standalone package. i don't know, how to install it.
> i want to know about installation on linux and windows.
>
> can any one tell me this step.

Depends what you mean by "standalone package".

This could be a gem (xxx.gem) or a package for your native Linux version
(e.g. .deb for Ubuntu, .rpm for fedora)

If it's a gem, then you must have rubygems installed first, then you use
"gem install" to install it. At this point you may discover that this
gem
depends on other gems to install, so you'll end up going back into work
get those too :-)

If it's a native package, then use the appropriate native package
installation tool (dpkg, rpm etc). You'll have a similar dependency
issue.

Might be easier to bring your PC into work :-)

Regards,

Brian.
Ashok K. (Guest)
On 3/14/07, Brian C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> (e.g. .deb for Ubuntu, .rpm for fedora)
>
> If it's a gem, then you must have rubygems installed first, then you use
> "gem install" to install it. At this point you may discover that this gem
> depends on other gems to install, so you'll end up going back into work to
> get those too :-)

yes, i agree.

and as i suspected, rake gem should be installed separately on linux,
then only you can install rails gem file.

regards
Ashok