Forum: Ruby Which Ruby book to read?

Human D. (Guest)
Hello,

I'm going to re-read a book (just one book at the moment!) about Ruby
to sharpen me knowledge, what do you guys recommend?

Programming Ruby (PragProg)
Ruby for Rails (Manning)
The Ruby Way (Addison Wesley)

Or another book?!?

I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
read a Ruby book again.

Which one guys?

Thanks a lot,
- Dunnil
Tomas P.'s Mailing L. (Guest)
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Human D. wrote:

> I'm going to re-read a book (just one book at the moment!) about Ruby
> to sharpen me knowledge, what do you guys recommend?
>
> Programming Ruby (PragProg)
> Ruby for Rails (Manning)
> The Ruby Way (Addison Wesley)

I'd suggest _why's mad ways? It'll sure help with the...

> I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
> read a Ruby book again.

...advanced details.
*t

--
Human D. (Guest)
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Human D. wrote:

> You mean: http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/ ?

Yup :-)
*t
Chris C. (Guest)
On 3/10/07, Human D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
> read a Ruby book again.
>
> Which one guys?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> - Dunnil

The second edition of The Ruby Way is probably teh most useful ruby book
I own.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Human D. wrote:

> I know Ruby, but seems I forgot some advanced details so I like to
> read a Ruby book again.
>
> Which one guys?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> - Dunnil

Well ... the broadest of the three in terms of useful knowledge you may
not have is the second edition of "The Ruby Way". So that's the way I'd
go. It's also the newest of the three, so it has the benefit of some
things the other two don't. "The Ruby Way, 2nd Edition" has a couple of
other things going for it:

1. A fairly complete comparison of the major Ruby GUIs. That's got to be
the most frequently-asked question here.
2. About the only usable documentation on web app frameworks *other*
than Rails, like Nitro.
3. As many "recipes" and "snippets" as most of the "cookbooks" have.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.