Forum: Ruby OptionParser patch

Tom P. (Guest)

I wanted to submit a patch for optparse.rb to make it easier to add
general text to the usage summary.  There were three things I wanted
to change:

1. Fix OptionParser#separator so that it correctly handles strings
containing newlines.
2. Introduce 'text' as and alias for the 'separator' method, since
the latter doesn't sound appropriate for adding a paragraph of text
at a time.
3. Add a 'bottom_text' method, which would force the text to appear
after the option summary.

Before I submitted this, I thought I'd ask for comments, or
additional suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom
Tomas P.'s Mailing L. (Guest)
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Tom P. wrote:

>    option summary.
>
> Before I submitted this, I thought I'd ask for comments, or additional
> suggestions.

I only comment on the last item, since I don't know OptionParser enough.
#3 sounds really useful to me.
*t

--
Tom P. (Guest)
On Mar 9, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Tomas P.'s Mailing L. wrote:

>> Before I submitted this, I thought I'd ask for comments, or
>> additional suggestions.
>
> I only comment on the last item, since I don't know OptionParser
> enough. #3 sounds really useful to me.
> *t

Thanks.

I've submitted it now (my first patch to a core lib).  I'm interested
to see what happens.

Tom