Forum: Rails deployment Apache 2.0 <=> Pen <=> Mongrel problems

tilthouse (Guest)
I have a Centos server that I would rather not upgrade to Apache 2.2
due to other sites in production (and the PITA that the upgrade
appears to be).  So, I'm using Apache 2.0 <=> Pen <=> 3 Mongrels

3 Mongrels on 11100-11102.
Pen on 11180.

(Aside: Pen vs. Pound?  Opinions? Tradeoffs?)

>From the command line on the server, I can see that that is working.
"lynx http://
localhost:11180/events" gives me back a "Routing Error: no route
found
to match "/events" with {:method=>:get}".  That's correct -- there is
no such route.  The important thing is that it's talking to a mongrel.

It's the Apache <=> Pen that I can't get to work.

Below is my entry in conf.d: (a few items replaced with [stuff] in
brackets to protect the innocent...

Any obvious issues? I can get to the static web page, but not the
rails app...

<VirtualHost [IP_Address]:80>
# RoR app
#SetEnv RAILS_ENV development
SetEnv RAILS_ENV production

ServerName [fqdn of virtual host]
ServerAlias [hostname of virtual host]
DocumentRoot /home/boster/www/tilthouse/dev/rails/[app_dir]/temp-
deploy/public

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%
{User-Agent}i\""
CustomLog /home/boster/www/logs/[hostname].access_log common
ErrorLog /home/boster/www/logs/[hostname].error_log

<Directory "/home/boster/www/tilthouse/dev/rails/[app_dir]/temp-
deploy/public">
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass / http://localhost:11180/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:11180/

RewriteEngine On

# Rewrite index to check for static
# Letting rails handle the case with routes
RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]

# Rewrite to check for Rails cached page
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
# Expanded setup to only proxy rails pieces (not static pages)
# Adapted from http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-users/2006-
July/000757.html
RewriteCond $1 !images|errors|stylesheets|javascripts|files|
favicon.ico|robots.txt

# Redirect all non-static requests to cluster
# XXX DON'T check the filesystem, as this is extremely slow for
each
# XXX request. Instead, rely on the patterns above. Add more if
needed.
#RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

# Pass everything else thru to mongrel cluster
#RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://mongrel_cluster%{REQUEST_URI}
[P,QSA,L]

</VirtualHost>
(Guest)
On Mar 7, 2:44 pm, "tilthouse" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I have a Centos server that I would rather not upgrade to Apache 2.2
> due to other sites in production (and the PITA that the upgrade
> appears to be).  So, I'm using Apache 2.0 <=> Pen <=> 3 Mongrels
>
> 3 Mongrels on 11100-11102.
> Pen on 11180.
>
> (Aside: Pen vs. Pound?  Opinions? Tradeoffs?)

Sorry to answer indirectly, but I've used this exact configuration
with Balance before.

It was very simple, and very easy.

http://www.inlab.de/balance.html

--