Forum: Ruby on Rails Routing Problem

Joe C. (Guest)
Hi, I'm having a problem with the routing within my rails app.  I'm
probably
doing something completely, obviously, and totally wrong, but for the
life
of me I can't see it.

The short of it:  My banner disappears if my url goes beyond displaying
the
controller name.

Case in point:
# the banner displays correctly when viewing the home page
http://localhost:3000/home

#Right click the banner and select show background image
#Banner url - everything is fine
http://localhost:3000/images/logo1.png

#Banner disappears when viewing an article however
http://localhost:3000/article/show/5

#Right click the banner and select show background image
#banner url -  the article controller is embedded in the url
http://localhost:3000/article/images/logo1.png

To help simplify the problem I removed the css file and hard coded the
banner into the div:
url(../images/logo1.png)">

Anyone have a good place for me to start looking?
Philip H. (Guest)

> To help simplify the problem I removed the css file and hard coded the
> banner into the div:
> url(../images/logo1.png)">

make it like this:  url(/images/logo1.png)

The "../" makes it relative to the url you are at.

So...

...:3000/home -> home/../images/logo1.png -> /images/logo1.png

...:3000/article/show/5 -> article/show/5/../images/logo1.png ->
article/show/images/logo1.png

Which is exactly what you're seeing.  Just make the url reference
absolute
(ie. start it with a '/') and you'll be fine.  I'd recommend doing this
for *all* your assets (images, javascript, stylesheets, etc.)

-philip
Joe C. (Guest)
Haha, ok that was it, thank you very much!   I want to crawl to the
bottom
of a hole for missing something that obvious.
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi Joe, could you provide a snippet of code (i.e. Ruby template) that
contains the image?  In any case, you should be referencing images in
you templates as follows:

/images/some_image.image_extension

I was faced with this same issue last night because the pages where
using

images/some_image.image_extension

which was an incorrect usage and was referring to a different
directory on my server.

Good luck,

-Conrad