Forum: Ruby Marshal.dump/load limitations on size?

Wes G. (Guest)
on 2007-03-06 02:11
All,

Does anyone know if there are any implicit limitations to the size of an
object that Marshal.dump/load can handle?

I have a biiig object that I'm trying to dump and load and it seems to
be failing and I just want to know if I shouldn't even expect to be able
to dump/load an object bigger than X.

Thanks,
Wes
unknown (Guest)
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Wes G. wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any implicit limitations to the size of an
> object that Marshal.dump/load can handle?
>
> I have a biiig object that I'm trying to dump and load and it seems to
> be failing and I just want to know if I shouldn't even expect to be able
> to dump/load an object bigger than X.

RAM.  That's your only size limitation.

Kirk H.
Wes G. (Guest)
on 2007-03-06 08:42
> RAM.  That's your only size limitation.

Any chance that memcached (which uses Marshal) imposes any sort of size
limitation?

Wes
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Mar 5, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Wes G. wrote:

>> RAM.  That's your only size limitation.
>
> Any chance that memcached (which uses Marshal) imposes any sort of
> size
> limitation?
>
> Wes

  Memecahed only imposes the size limitation you set in its config
file. /etc/conf.d/memcached on gentoo is where you can set the max
memory for the memcached daemon. If you are hitting that limit then
it won't go any further until you set it to a higher threshold and
restart memcached.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Z.
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- removed_email_address@domain.invalid
-- Engine Y., Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
Wes G. (Guest)
on 2007-03-07 18:53
One last piece of info:

memcached does impose a limit of 1MB (actually just under 1MB) on the
size of any one item that is stored.

For my project, I've modified memcache-client to handle larger objects
by breaking them into pieces and reconstituting them within the API.

Wes