Forum: Ruby make it faster

Ara.T.Howard (Guest)
you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby code, then
people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?

what's the BEST one you can remember?

thanks.

-a
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 4, 2007, at 21:28, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> you know those threads where someone posts a bit of slow ruby code,
> then
> people rework it until it's orders of magnitude faster?
>
> what's the BEST one you can remember?

I liked the one I posted with my writeup of making png.rb faster with
RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with pure-
ruby.  I think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order of
magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version.  Instead
of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data structures
slightly for speed to reduce work.
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Mar 5, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Eric H. wrote:

> of magnitude of the selectively-optimized RubyInline version.
> Instead of making the operations faster, Dominik changed the data
> structures slightly for speed to reduce work.

I tried to apply dominik's changes and the problem was that they
broke a lot of stuff. I don't see his numbers as being entirely
valid, but his approach was.
unknown (Guest)
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Ryan D. wrote:

>> RubyInline since Dominik (sp?) gained similar speedups with pure-ruby.  I
>> think the pure-ruby speed-up ended up within an order of magnitude of the
>> selectively-optimized RubyInline version.  Instead of making the operations
>> faster, Dominik changed the data structures slightly for speed to reduce
>> work.
>
> I tried to apply dominik's changes and the problem was that they broke a lot
> of stuff. I don't see his numbers as being entirely valid, but his approach
> was.

lol - i just presented it in class 1 hr ago!  but, as you correctly
point out
- it's the concept which is valid, if not the implimentation.

ps.  presented hoe too.

cheers.

-a
Robert D. (Guest)
<snip>
> lol - i just presented it in class 1 hr ago!  but, as you correctly point out
> - it's the concept which is valid, if not the implimentation.

Sorry for being completely OT but it just stroke me:
Do your students know to read the ML before the exams?

Cheers
Robert
<snip>